RE: [CBQ] cbq cabooses

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] cbq cabooses
From: "Grice Dale-MGI1833" <dgrice@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:27:50 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
George,

I was privileged several years ago to help a railfan buddy move a wood
side-door CB&Q caboose # 14006 if I remember correctly. We moved it from
a farmers field to West Liberty, IA. The West Liberty tourist train
startup failed and the caboose was moved to Mid-Continent Museum in
North Freedom, WI. It was subsequently donated to Mid-Continent upon his
untimely death.

The original move was quite interesting for this 18 year old at that
time. We borrowed a couple of I-Beams, a mess of cross ties and and 2
track jacks. We jacked it up first one end, then the other, cribbing up
the I-Beams each time until a flat bed semi could back under it. After
170 mile move, we then had to reverse the action. The caboose did not
have any trucks at that time, but somehow, somewhere, my friend Chris
found a set.

Anyway, that side door caboose has a lot of character. Someday I need to
get back up there and see it again.

Dale Grice
Atlanta, GA