RE: [CBQ] Re: Western Star and EB consists on the Q?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Western Star and EB consists on the Q?
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 08:21:09 -0700
Bcc:
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I rode the EB many times between Chicago and Wahpeton ND (50 miles south of
Fargo) early to late teens. I don't remember the exact consist, but I do
remember one trip in Feb 1959 or 1960 that the EB consisted of 2 Q dome
coaches, several EB cars including the diner and great dome and several NCL
cars - I think the NCL included the observation. Of course there were some
sleepers as well. The one GN car I spent time in between Chicago and St Paul
was the GN Ranch car.

My mom and I had coach seats on an EB car, since I was a die hard Q fan, I
wanted to sit in the Q dome car, so after dinner, I moved into the Q dome,
mom followed. We arrived in St Paul, around 10 PM or so as I remember. After
sometime, I then noticed that our assigned GN coach, along with the rest of
the EB/NCL consisted started to move out while our Q dome cars remained
behind.

Mom grabbed a conductor and told him that our luggage and seat were "in that
moving train!" He wanted to know how we got to his car, and pointed to a
sign that stated something to the effect that "this car goes only to St.
Paul".

The Q conductor and agent, escorted us to a waiting car - might have been a
taxi, and paid for our trip to Minneapolis to catch up with our "coach".
After that incedent, I never again roamed to a Q car without coming back to
my coach when ever we made a station stop.

Ray Bedard
San Jose CA