[CBQ] Re: Western Star and EB consists on the Q?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Western Star and EB consists on the Q?
From: "baton580" <rplaehn@cox-internet.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:24:35 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I rode the combined TCZ/EB/NCL several times between St. Paul and
Prairie du Chien in that time frame and viewed it several more.  My
memory is that generally the consist started with two or three
baggage cars (sometimes one for each road, but not always) then one
or two TCZ dome coaches. The EB section varied, but the consist I
remember most was the flat top coach followed by two dome
coaches,the great dome and then the diner and two or three
pullmans.  At the time I rode the train (on the NCL side) the ranch
car came on/off the EB in St. Paul and the great dome was the EB
lounge car for all passengers.

The NCL was usually dome coach, flat top coach, dome coach, L&C
Travelers Rest, diner, slumbercoach, dome sleeper lounge and the
final flat top pullman.

I always thought it interesting that the NCL carried most of its
consist to Chicago while the EB had some cars pulled from and added
to the consist in St. Paul.

As has been said, the consist varied from day to day and season to
season.

As to the Western Star/Mainstreeter/Blackhawk question.  I can't
answer this as well as I only rode it a few times and usally from
Chicago to PDC, but do not remember any NP cars after 68-69 or so
and only one GN sleeper plus the Q cars.

Regards

Bob