[CBQ] Southern IL coal (was Grade profiles Vermont IL to Concord IL)

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Southern IL coal (was Grade profiles Vermont IL to Concord IL)
From: Frederick Ripley <fjr@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:15:04 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Stan writes:

I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon exploring the line
>between Table Grove and Beardstown. I found some great photo venues,
>but nary a train in sight. As they say, timing is everything.

Group,

Since I have lived in western KY, I have seen a fair amount of this line
from
Centrailia south.  Quite scenic.  It is interesting to me that (if I
understand
correctly that the traditional use of the line for the Q was to haul coal
north)
that the flow of loads has completely changed direction, w/of course Powder
River
loads headed south.  One very big destination is AEP around Joppa, IL, but
it seems some coal continues south of there as well- perhaps to off-line
plants.

How does traffic density today compare to the Q?  I am guessing, but I would
think
presently there might be 2 or maybe 3 loaded trains per day.

If you are ever near the south end of the line, be sure to go to Metropolis,
IL,
and see the OH River that this line and the IC's Edgewood cutoff use.  Very
impressive.

Fred R.