[CBQ] Browning IL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Browning IL
From: Stan Maddox <stan.maddox@burlingtongulf.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:50:43 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
List,

I was out yesterday exploring portions of the old Astoria and
Browning IL right-of-way, and I met a local fellow while I was taking
pictures of the Browning CB&Q depot. He was quite friendly and
helpful. He said that a steam locomotive nicknamed "Maude" used to be
based there, and that it would push the trains up the hill towards
Astoria. He said the crew would top off the locomotive with water
from the reservoir (at Emmanuel Lake near Bader, perhaps?) and then
drift backwards back down the hill. He wasn't quite sure what year
they pulled the tracks through Browning, but he was thinking
somewhere around 1962. Can anyone confirm that date? Does anyone have
additional information to share on this area, and/or has information
on this area ever been published in a book or magazine?

Thanks,
Stan Maddox