RE: [CBQ] For those interested - Current Status of the U25C Project as o

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] For those interested - Current Status of the U25C Project as of 07/05/2006
From: "Robert Giffin" <robert.h.giffin@us.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:41:51 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Re:  There will be those that WANT to find a Rivarossi 25C (sorry,I sold
mine that had the flanges turnded down to RP25 in about 1965) and add resin,
etched, lost wax brass, cast metal, etc.. parts and a new mechanism to make
a RPM model will do so even if a model was released tomorrow.

This much is understood.  Everyone in the group has at least one if not more
available (I have four).  Too many 'Rossi shells out there the simply toss
out and too much interesting detail on them to pass up.

Re:  I don't know about you, but if I spent the time and money to do a
model, no matter how much I enjoy building, only to have it mistaken for an
off-the-shelf model (and you KNOW that the roadnumber you select will be the
same as the one released...) THAT would give me angst.

It would actually flatter me to know that my work stands up to the
professionals'.

Re:  On a lesser note I would hate to see a small manufacturer pin hopes on
selling thousands of parts for a locomotive that will be released in RTR....
I agree that today there is market for the U25C. I doubt that there was any
real threat of a U25C until recently... there have been significant changes
in the marketplace and manufacturing in the last few years that has allowed
stuff that wasn't previously possible to be made.

Don't think Kaslo sees himself selling thousands of U25Cs.  Hundreds maybe -
right up to the point where an Atlas model is available maybe?  Stopgap
measure?  Nothing wrong with that.  And everyone is happy.  As far as parts
go, I believe there will be demand for only the amount needed to fix up the
'Rossi shells out there.

Re:  The problem with the U25C was that it has a one-off (other than the
early U28C) mechanism that can't be used for anything else. Many other
U-boats have been made because of the modularity of the mechanisms and the
body shells.

And the Trainmaster isn't a one-off?  What about the DL-109?  That argument
doesn't hold water for me.

Re:   I'm not suggesting that anyone decide not to do it going the "U25C
Project" route. Just pointing out that the surest way to find a RTR model in
the Hobbby Shop is to complete a scratchbuilt or kitbashed model.....

Dabney's law, I'm familiar with it.  And don't have a problem with it
actually.  It is what it is.  But in our case, there really IS an existing
model, albeit not perfect.  You can actually purchase and run a U25C right
out of the box, if you can find a box.  While Dabney's law applies somewhat,
it has a slightly different flavor to it.

Re:   As an independent consultant I am not at liberty to announce any of my
client's or competitor's future plans....but I am aware of serious research
underway for such a model..... and it has been on the serious prospect list
for a number of manufacturers for several years.

I completely understand your confidentiality.  But again - I've heard that
for so many years in fact that I've just stopped caring or even paying
attention.  Hence the reason for the group.  So, if the group becomes a
catalyst for a mainstream model, so much the better, and actually one of our
goals.  And if we actually aren't the catalyst, I suppose as you mention in
your first post, that we can at least claim it.

Gif...

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM