Re: [CBQ] For those interested - Current Status of the U25C Project as o

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] For those interested - Current Status of the U25C Project as of 07/05/2006
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:47:24 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Robert-
There will be those that WANT to find a Rivarossi 25C (sorry,I sold mine that
had the flanges turnded down to RP25 in about 1965)
and add resin, etched, lost wax brass, cast metal, etc.. parts and a new
mechanism to make a RPM model will do so even if a model was
released tomorrow.
I don't know about you, but if I spent the time and money to do a model, no
matter how much I enjoy building, only to have it mistaken for
an off-the-shelf model (and you KNOW that the roadnumber you select will be the
same as the one released...) THAT would give me angst.
On a lesser note I would hate to see a small manufacturer pin hopes on selling
thousands of parts for a locomotive that will be released in RTR....
I agree that today there is market for the U25C.  I doubt that there was any
real threat of a U25C until recently... there have been significant
changes in the marketplace and manufacturing in the last few years that has
allowed stuff that wasn't previously possible to be made.
The problem with the U25C was that it has a one-off (other than the early U28C)
mechanism that can't be used for anything else.
Many other U-boats have been made because of the modularity of the mechanisms
and the body shells.
I'm not suggesting that anyone decide not to do it going the "U25C Project"
route.
Just pointing out that the surest way to find a RTR model in the Hobbby Shop is
to complete a scratchbuilt or kitbashed model.....
As an independent consultant I am not at liberty to announce any of my client's
or competitor's future plans....but I am aware of serious research
underway for such a model..... and it has been on the serious prospect list for
a number of manufacturers for several years.
Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources