Re: [CBQ] Couple of more dispatcher sheet questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Couple of more dispatcher sheet questions
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:44:59 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
sholding@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Bill
> The sheet on Page 26-27 is the main line sheet and covers Creston to Omaha
> The sheet on Page 46-47 is for the branch lines off that mainline section.
> Note the center shows Hamburg to Griswold.  With Red Oak in the center of the
> column  The 9104 only operated from Red Oak north to Griswold so is only
> shown on the top part.  At the time the heavier road engines would be parked
> in Red Oak and the crew used a smaller lighter engine to make the side trip.
> I am not sure when the sheets changed but some time in the late 60 or at the
> merger to save printing costs the sheets became generic and a printed station
> column sticker was used.  But this was not the same in all offices of the BN
> some used printed sheets which were more professional and the only ones I
> have collected.
> Signaling and CTC was not marked on the train sheet.  Unless it was out or a
> signal was out then would be listed in the delay column.  Who reported and
> when fixed.  When trains were reversed in the Rule 251 territory then it was
> shown with red lines across the column between the stations the train was
> reversed.

Thanks Steve.

I do have a couple of more questions if you do not mind. On the sheet on
page 26-27. there are double lines between Red Oak and McPherson, and
between Balfour and Glenwood. Now on page 28 there is a picture of an
operator sitting at the CTC panel at Creston along with the beginning of
CTC just west of Red Oak. The caption said one track between Red Oak and
Balfour was removed when the CTC was installed. So do the double lines
on the sheet above indicate the end and then the beginning of two main
tracks? If so, I have a place where that would useful on my sheet.

On the K Line, the MKT entered and left at Machens. This happened other
places on the system also. Was there anything on the sheets indicating
things like this? This seems to be a source of confusion for some
dispatchers on my model railroad.

I am definitively going to incorporate the Stock and Perishable counts
on the sheets. I already have my crews blocking trains to put these
"loaded" cars on the head end.

Once I get it "done", I'll post a copy in the files area for others to
look at, use for themselves, or comment on. It will probably be an Excel
file. I've already checked with my local OfficeMax and they just got a
printer that can easily do large sheets (like (18"x24" or 18"x30") and
can print it via an Excel file.

I look forward to the article on the Iowa Branch lines through
Centerville. Lenny Ohrnell and I were up exploring that area last month
on the way to and back from Galesburg Railroad Days. So your article
will have additional interest and meaning to us.

Bill Hirt