Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2344

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2344
From: William Ewinger <b_ewinger@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:39:09 -0800 (PST)
hi all
what was done in shop complex that were in hannibal mo.
bill ewinger

clipperw@EarthLink.net wrote:
Bob,

In later steam years, Q had two locomotive heavy repair shops, W.
Burlington and Denver. However, over the years, locomotives were also
built and/or repaired at Aurora, IL and Havelock in Lincoln, NE. Aurora
was a passenger repair shop up into the end and possibly later. Freight
car shops also existed at W. Burlington in earlier years and Havelock.
Many roundhouses, such as Galesburg, also did some level of overhaul.
Denver shop never repaired diesels as it was closed in 1955. Most
diesel overhauls were done at W. Burlington. However, some larger
running shops, such as Lincoln and Clyde, did do lighter overhauls on
diesels although, they were as efficient at it as was West B.

Prior to the turn of the century, some of the predecessor lines had
shop facilties in other locations that carried on for some period after
consolidation with the Q. As for the Pioneer Zephyr and similar trains,
"running repairs" were made at local shops in their assigned are and
major work was done at the Aurora shops. The engines were most likely
removed and sent to West B. for overhaul. Aurora Shops did wreck repair
on the Zephyr, too, The Pioneer Zephyr was in there at least twice for
major repair and the second TCZ was repaired there after its wreck at
Downers Grove in 1947. It came out of the shop as the new Nebraska
Zephyr.

I am sure others can add more detail to this brief summary.

Bill Barber

On Saturday, March 12, 2005, at 03:11 AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>  Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:38:27 -0600
>    From: "Bob & Marian Sorensen" <rksmes@earthlink.net>
> Subject: CBQ Shops
>
> Without doing a lot of digging in the books,  where were the main
> shops located?  Both engine and cars.  I know West Burlington, Iowa
> was an engine shop and that steam engines were built there.  And that
> cars were built at Lincoln, Nebraska.  But there must have been other
> major shops, some that must have been closed when diesels took over.
> Also, where were the pioneer Zephyrs serviced?

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM