[CBQ] BRHS Archives

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] BRHS Archives
From: <kohlj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:39:08 -0500
> The best bet for the BRHS is to have some one (s) volunteer to start
> looking at grant applications. The problem is multi-fold. <snip>

Actually (and I do have quite a bit of experience with this), the most
inexpensive way to fix this problem is create an online repository.  The
initial cost is with the manpower (volunteers) to break out and start scanning
in document and photos *CORRECTLY*.  Once you have put them into an archival
quality file type, you can then  create multiple digital backups of the
*source* material.  Then, you create browseable online filetypes that people
can view and look at. You can even create a donation-type system that would
allow people to view a semi-archival quality filetype online (or even the full
one if you have the storage space), hence insuring that you were always getting
paid for the upkeep of the server.  I've begun inital work with some of this
stuff with the creation of the BRHS Gallery, obviously this is still a far cry
from what it could be, as I've been working on it in my spare time with many
other projects.

The end result is this:  ALL current format archives must be treated as source
material, but with the intent that they provide a basis for a DIGITAL source
archive and then you can do whatever you want with the originals...another 50
years from now you cannot guarantee that someone's house won't burn, and their
entire photo archive be turned to cinders.  With this system, you'll always
have someone with a digital source archive.

Cheers!

Jan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM