[CBQ] BRHS Archives

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] BRHS Archives
From: Henry W Kraichely <hkraichely@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:34:50 -0800 (PST)
I too am a silent member having joined in 1989 after seeing Mike Spoor's layout
when I attended the NMRA National Convention in Houston.

I would like to make two points.

1. The Officers of the BRHS have the duty to address these member questions.
Complete information is the quickest way to stop rumors or to begin a process
to correct any matters that need attention.  Stone walling and silence will
only feed the fire of discontent and hurt the society.  Suggesting a individual
contact off line is not the approach needed at this point, a open discussion is
needed to address concerns/questions of the many members who use this site.
(Also other railroad fans who happen into the site.)

I joined this great group because I love railroads, especially the Q.  My
membership has brought many benefits including priceless information and
friendships.  It is certainly worth $30.00 a year!  Lets not do anything that
will damage this organization.  A few answers from members in authority can
bring closure to this matter!

2. I am aware of several Libraries who have taken in large railroad
collections.  They are open to the public and the materials can be seen/used
upon request.  The libraries organized the materials and store them in climate
controlled areas that protect and preserve them.  (Storing paper and photos in
basements and in ordinary boxes and files (not acid-free) will destroy them
over time!

The three cases I am familiar with are:
a. Universityof Missouri-St. Louis which has been given the very large
Mercantile Bank Library railroad collection
b. The University of Missouri in Columbia who has the extensive personal
collection of a KATY railroad fan (it has it's own dedicated area).
c. The NMRA Kalmbach Library which has numerous books, magazines and drawings
which I believe include a complete set of drawings from the Baldwin Locomotive
Works.
(Since I live in the St. Louis area my experiences are limited to these but I
am sure many other opportunities exist.)  I believe all these orgnizations
allow public access and charge some small fee for copy service.

This might be an approach that could work for our Society.

Hank Kraichely

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM