Re: [CBQ] BRHS Archives

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BRHS Archives
From: "Steve Baule" <baules@zbths.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:02:07 -0600
I don't know exactly how I could help out, but I have worked in an
archives all through college and have worked professionally as a
librarian, so if I could be of help, I would try to help out.
Steve

>>> kohlj@bellsouth.net 12/08/04 4:39 PM >>>

> The best bet for the BRHS is to have some one (s) volunteer to start
> looking at grant applications. The problem is multi-fold. <snip>

Actually (and I do have quite a bit of experience with this), the most
inexpensive way to fix this problem is create an online repository.  The
initial cost is with the manpower (volunteers) to break out and start
scanning in document and photos *CORRECTLY*.  Once you have put them
into an archival quality file type, you can then  create multiple
digital backups of the *source* material.  Then, you create browseable
online filetypes that people can view and look at. You can even create a
donation-type system that would allow people to view a semi-archival
quality filetype online (or even the full one if you have the storage
space), hence insuring that you were always getting paid for the upkeep
of the server.  I've begun inital work with some of this stuff with the
creation of the BRHS Gallery, obviously this is still a far cry from
what it could be, as I've been working on it in my spare time with many
other projects.

The end result is this:  ALL current format archives must be treated as
source material, but with the intent that they provide a basis for a
DIGITAL source archive and then you can do whatever you want with the
originals...another 50 years from now you cannot guarantee that
someone's house won't burn, and their entire photo archive be turned to
cinders.  With this system, you'll always have someone with a digital
source archive.

Cheers!

Jan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM