Re: [CBQ] BRHS Archives

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BRHS Archives
From: David Eisenstein <vde9076@planetkc.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:34:38 -0600
As a member of BRHS, I also suggest one more possible
library:  LINDA HALL LIBRARY  of Kansas City, Missouri.

         It is limited to Science, Engineering and Technology.  It
includes extensive RR collections of various Journals and books.
which I have consulted.
         If they would accept CBQ material, it is not subject to
any governmental limitations or legislative cut-backs, being
totally privately funded with what is now a large endowment.
         It acquired the library of the American Academy of Arts
and Sciences in Boston in 1946.  In 1995 200,000 volumes from
the Engineering Societies Library in New York were transferred
to Linda Hall.  It took eighteen 18-wheelers for the collection to
be transferred which consisted of materials published by the five
largest American engineering societies.  Access by e-mail, phone,fax
or walk-in is free and they have an on-line catalog service known
as LEONARDO.  They currently spend more than $3 million
annually on journal materials.  Its Web Site:   www.lindahall.org
5109 Cherry St., Kansas City, MO 64110.  You may use it even
if you do not select it as the custodian of our BRHS materials.
The information they have is staggering; in 2003 LHL completed
nearly 42,000 reference transactions of inquiries from around the world.
Their full time library staff is now 74 persons.

Cheers,

Dave Eisenstein
Life Member NMRA #578.
Member MERG #M977.
Editor of CLEAR BLOCK for the Railway Signaling Technical
and Historical Society.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM