Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:39:48 -0500
Bob,

Why do you need a web site when you have this list?  If I don't
have the answer Steve Holding surely would.  Just got home
from spending 8 hours dispatching 650 miles of railroad.

Dodge City KS to Dalies and Belen NM.

Dispatching is a combination of CTC control, Bulletins and
Warrants sent to printers, and radio transmissions.

Wireless networking is still about two years away I would guess.
It will happen in Hy-Rail vehicles before it happens with trains.
There is already a "Hy-Rail Limits Compliance System" using GPS
in place and I can tell you it does work.  The next step is an
automated issuance of authority to those vehicles so equipped.
This is a plan, not just a proposal.

An aside:  About two months ago they replaced the power switch
at Las Animas Junction CO where the Boise City Sub-Division
meets the La Junta Sub-Division. In part of this process the Westbound
Control Signal on the La Junta Sub was moved 200' West. Had a guy
riding track after a heavy rain and he got the alarm in his truck and I got
it on my Track Warrant screen as soon as he went by where the old
signal had been.  I confirmed it by radio by having him go backwards
past the old signal location and then forwards again.  The system is
that exact.  Printed out the Latitude and Longitude where he had been
out of compliance and made a copy of the Track Bulletin that explained
what had been done and gave it to the right person to correct the database.

All trains have Engineers. Some yard operations are controlled from
the ground by either of the two switchmen.  Dispatcher does not
remotely control anything except controlled switches and signals via a
combination of land lines and microwave. CTC has been around since
the mid 20's.

BNSF does still have some Operators but they are Control Operators
and do not dispatch trains. Examples are Willis Yard in Galesburg or
Carling in Lincoln. They have the same hardware and software as the
Dispatchers do and the Dispatchers and the Operators can look at each
others screens.  These jobs are slowly being switched to Dispatchers
only. In the past 5 years the Dispatchers have gotten Memphis Terminal,
Ustick Tower in Kansas City, and Terminal Control at Dilworth.  Think
there are two sets of Operators in Superior but they handle bridges.

I'm sure there are others I've forgotten.

One of the reasons for converting these jobs to Dispatcher control is the
constant difficulty in filling positions. As the former Operators retire and
the former Clerks try to avoid the rule book there is just nobody to work
the jobs.

The remaining Operator jobs do not handle Track Bulletins or Track
Warrants in any manner.

Russ