Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:58:43 -0600
Hi Folks:

In Gillette and Edgemont, it was always "Copy a bunch", usually #19 slow
orders.  The OP would roll as many into the typewriter as it would hold, and
when they were done, he (or she) would punch a hole in the top corner.  Then
they'd hang the different orders on nails driven into the edge of the shelf
above the OP's table.  When the DS would clear a train, the OP would just
pull off the orders that were named on the Clearance.  They didn't "hoop 'em
up" at those stations, but they did out on line.  Most of the Train Order
stations between Edgemont and Gillette had the metal stands for the short
"Forks", the head end copy would go in the top one, and the rear end in the
lower.  I've had to stop more than once because somebody missed the
"hoop"...usually at a station where the OP was hooping them up by hand.

We used to save the order strings for all kinds of little jobs around the
motor....holding down the MU sander lever comes immediately to mind :>)  One
of the funniest things I saw with order strings was the day my Engineer had
his (pretty large, back then) transister radio strung between the front
wiper valve and the Company radio....one of those on the pipe above the
Control Stand...with the antenna sticking out through a crack between the
side windows.  We hit a rough spot, and the string on the Co. radio broke,
the "entertainment center" hit him alongside the head and smacked him into
the side window.  I thought it had cold c**ked him, but he just shook his
head and strung it back up :>)

We used to carry three "bulldog" magnetic clips...one for your slow orders,
one for your meets, and one for your superseeded meets.  And...there's still
the occasional "BK" on the Dispatcher's radio :>)  The OP back home on the
Milwaukee used to use the "wire" to talk to the other stations.  He'd be
sitting there talking to you and the Morse would be clicking away, and he'd
reach over to his "bug" and send something. Then he'd tell you what was
happening.

Mike Decker