Re: [BRHSlist] Any Keokuk, IA experts out there?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Any Keokuk, IA experts out there?
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:52:29 -0600
> From my research, I believe that Keokuk actually had two carbide
> plants.  My Sanborn maps put National Carbide on the river front
> with the CB&Q main behind it.

Duncan, Rob, et al -

Only the Burlington and the Rock Island really took Keokuk seriously as a
freight traffic souce in the 20th century (both incoming and outgoing) . . .
the Toledo Peoria & Western gave it some thought, actually taking trackage
rights up to Burlington for a while (see one of the panoramic photos in Dave
Lotz's BB on Burlington) - but once the AT&SF built through from Kansas City
to Chicago, the TP&W started dropping their transcontinental bridge traffic
on the Santa Fe at Effner, IL . . . the Wabash line from Bluffs was always a
bit of a "what did we do this for anyway" artifact - famous only for the fact
that deferred maintenance left its bridges too weak for early diesels - and
the last Wabash steam (Mogul 573) stayed there to 1956.

Mostly, Keokuk was Burlington territory - some industries located on the RI
(formerly Des Moines Valley RR to Des Moines and the RI's "Valley Junction
(West Des Moines today) were served by the RI - but that wasn't much.  After
the river bank industrial space was full, additional sites were developed
along the Mt. Pleasant line to the northwest and to a much lesser extent
along the southbound St. Louis line toward Alexandria (the takeoff point for
the former Keokuk & Weatern).

Does this help?

Marshall

ReplayTV: Control live television