Re: [BRHSlist] Any Keokuk, IA experts out there?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Any Keokuk, IA experts out there?
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 05:36:44 -0600
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:12:03 -0500, Rob Adams wrote
> Dave;
>
> For those of us unfamiliar...what is the Mooar track, and was that Q
> trackage or somebody elses?

The "Mooar Track" is the remaining industrial stub of the St. Louis Keokuk &
Northwestern line from Keokuk to Mt. Pleasant, on which through service was
abandoned in the mid-thirties.  It intersected the F. Madison/Stockport
branch in a flyover junction at Mertensville and, after abandonment of the
main trackage, stubs remained from Mertensville south to Mt. Hamill & north
to Salem.  At the Mt. Pleasant end, a mainline connection and road trestle
remained for decades to serve the Mt. P. "Blue Flame" bottle gas dealer.
>From there, thge roadbed south became Hoaglin Road, then was the county road
to Oakland Mills, where the north abutment of the Skunk River bridge now has
a house built on it.  I biked that remaining roadbed many times as a kid.
The Q used this stretch of the StLK&NW around 1934 for a proof-of-concept-
test of internal combustion freight service using the little Porter (8911?).
It was an interesting little piece of the Q system.

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM