Re: [BRHSlist] Way Freight

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Way Freight
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:11:05 -0500
The Rochelle Interlocking is one of many Automatic Interlocking on the
CB&Q/bn/bnsf
The Photo in question is of a westbound train crossing the Rock River
between Rock Falls and Sterling.  This is on the old Earlville to Sterling
branch long since been taken up
On this branch there was an automatic interlocking with the IC in Amboy and
between Harmon and Rockfalls with the CNW.  The interlocking at Sterling
which the pipeline appears in the photo was a manual interlocking and in the
timetable(No.12 dated April 24, 1966) it says "No operator on duty Call
Operator at CNW Depot who will operate interlocking for CB&Q movement"
An automatic interlocking is controlled by the relays in the house at the
diamond and gives a signal to the first train to hit the approach
On the C&I(Aurora to Savanna) the Automatic Interlocking at Rochelle show
"If signal fails to clear, in addition to complying with Rule 672, Rule 525
must also be complied with.
Rule book dated May 1 1951 was in effect then.  The next rule book did not
come out until June 1 1967
672.  When a train or engine is stopped by the stop-indication of an
automatic interlocking signal and no conflicting train or engine movement is
evident, a member of the train or engine crew must go to the crossing, be
governed by instructions posted in release box and operate the proper
release for route which train or engine is to use.  (what this does is place
the plant in time and set all signals to stop.  The timer is set for the
length of time it  would take to stop a train before they reach the crossing
plus a safety margin due to the speed limit of the track)
If the signal does not clear at expiration of time interval, the member of
the crew may signal his train or engine to proceed throught the interlocking
if there is still no train or engine approaching on conflicting route and
signals on conflicting route indicat STOP
If signals on conflicting route do not indicate stop, movement must be made
under protection.(Flag and or fusee)
If a train or engine is standing between the home signals on a conflicting
route,(holding the interlocking) the proceed signal must not be given until
a thorough understanding has been reached with the crew of the train or
engine on the conflicting route(flip a coin???)
525 When a Stop signal does not clear and it is possible to communicate with
the train dispatcher and the dispatcher knows that there is no opposing
train in the block, instruction may be issued to proceed under authority of
Clearance Form F( This simply states Proceed per rule 509A)
509A  When a train is stopped by a Stop-and Proceed indication, it may
proceed at once at Restricted Speed, not exceeding 15mph expecting to find a
train in the block, broken rail, sbstruction or switch not properly lined.

Over the years the rules change to fit the  needs.  672, 525 and 509A do not
show up in the 1967 Consolidated Code But even today that is how you get
over the diamond in Rochelle if you come up on a red.
sjh