Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Way Freight

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Way Freight
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:09:36 -0600
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:51:19 -0500, Paul Kossart wrote

> Anyone have any photos/links showing the other end of these "pipes",
> in fact the whole shootin' match with the raised pedestals they were
> supported on, expansion joints(?), connections near and to the
> turnounts?  I'd like to model them on the layout someday and have no
> reference photos to go by.  Any help would be appreciated on this.
>
> Best . . .
>
> Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"

Paul -

Having lost all my personal property last spring, I can no longer rummage
through my (former) 50-year stack of MR and quote issue & page number, but
there was a fairly extensive article back in the 60's which not only showed
how the actuating rods were arranged (there were brackets and rollers, with
mated bell cranks to correct for temperature effects, but the article showed
how to design & build your own custom interlocking frame to control a
junction/signal complex on your pike!  At this time-remove, I may be mixing
my memories of the article and of my informal apprenticeship (age 8) with the
AT&SF day trick operator at Medill, who showed me that frame & traced all the
actuator rods with me - but I'm pretty sure that the referenced MR article
would more than satisfy your needs!

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511