Re: [BRHSlist] Way Freight

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Way Freight
From: "Bob Weber" <eng95@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:01:28 -0700
Ralph,
Since you're not a railroader, here is some supplemenal info to John's post.
The "pipelines" provided mechanical linkage between signal boards and switch
points and the interlocking levers in the tower.  An example of the interlock
levers as they existed in the Christopher, Ill tower can be seen in the photo
at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BRHSlist/ under photos/CB&Q Ill.
The interlocker was a mechanical system that insured that a train could safely
move through an area.
LCL stands for 'less than carload' which was a shipping option (slow and cheap)
for packaged freight as compared to Parcel Post, Motor Freight or Railway
Express.

Bob

  From: John D. Mitchell, Jr.

  Ralph
  Short answer to your quesion is: A way freight or
  "local" is a train that does pick-ups and set-outs of
  cars enroute. In former times, they also delivered and
  picked up LCL, at the various stations enroute. It is
  opposite of a through train that runs from terminal to
  terminal without changing consist. Don't fell bad. My
  wife used to ask me, about twice a year, "What's a
  local?"

  The pipes in the picture were "pipelines" for the
  manual interlocker.
  John

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM