Re: [BRHSlist] Quiz Show (wasReagan and the ICC)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Quiz Show (wasReagan and the ICC)
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:11:45 -0600
PSHedgpeth wrote (in part)

>  Anybody know what a NIHILARIAN is?   If you don't check out a new
> book I  recently came across titled WEIRD AND WONDERFUL words.
> Surely someone among this  astute group has seen it....I make first
> claim to the title  NIHILARIAN...others can vy for second place.

As long as I'm playing smarta** today, yeah . . .

the suffix -"arin" is essentially identical to "-ist", and "nihil" is Greek
for "nothing (cognate to Latin "nil" -

A "nihilist" is one who believes in "no order" - nowadays, it is usually
confused with "anarchist" (also derived from Greek:  "an"
= "without"; "archos"= "leader" . . . so anarchism is like the old Icelandic
government [930AD to 1262AD], which had a legislature, a judiciary, but no
executive.  If you defied a judgement, the court declared that the law no
longer protected you (outside the law, where we get the word "outlaw".

Nihilarian/nihilism/nihilist is no rules whatsoever - Law of the Jungle, as
it were (these days, we call it "Libertarian")

The insufferably pedantic Marshall Thayer
EncyclopediaOverload, Iowa

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM