[BRHSlist] Reagan and the ICC

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@storm.simpson.edu
Subject: [BRHSlist] Reagan and the ICC
From: PSHedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:37:12 EDT
Only John Mitchell and I are old enough to remember the days before
deregulation when the ICC ruled supreme in all matters railroad....

I can remember my dad saying regarding the ICC reports that he had to
complete for the RPL&N that "we have to just as much paperwork as though we had
6000
miles of track rather than 6"....

Recently perusing THE REAGAN WIT, I came across this little
gem....interestingly enough it was under the "Reagan on welfare"
category......here's what he
said regarding the ICC.

"If the Interstate Commerce Commission had been in business during the
pioneer days, the forty-niners woud still be trying to find out what the rules
are
for crossing the Mississippi River.    October 15, 1974

If you were'nt in the railroad game during the "regulated" days, you won't
appreciate the significance of his comment, but hopefully there are enough of
us out there that it's worth sharing.

Pete

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM