Tender Sprinkling Device

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Tender Sprinkling Device
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:44:54 EDT
This morning while wasting time reading old ICC wreck reports I came across
something that I have never before heard of

This incident August 9, 1933 involved the derailment of CB&Q No. 9...Was this
THE ARISTOCRAT?? at Mosely CO. The train was "hauled" by engine 3007.

As a part of the evidence summary a portion of the fireman's statement was
that as the train approached the point of derailment he had just opened a valve
on the tender which was used to release water to sprinkle crossings, after he
opened the valve he turned around to check to see if the water was
running.....

Now the valve and resultant sprinkling had nothing to do with the derailment
which was caused by a defective bridal rod in a facing point switch, but it
brought to me something of which I had never heard in my many years of being
around railroads...

How about it you steam engine historians.....Let's have comments.

Pete