Re: [BRHSlist] Cinerama Holiday

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Cinerama Holiday
From: Val Nelson <super-chief-val@c...>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 00:19:41 -0500
Cinerama films, while rare, do still occasionally pop up. There are two such
films that run on the Movie channels, quite regularly. They are How The West
Was Won and It?s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. So it is very possible to have
other Cinerama films transfered to video as well, especially since they can be
digitally enhanced with surround-sound tracks.

We lost our wonderful Cinerama theatre here in Omaha a couple of years ago when
the next-door-neighbor Methodist Hospital bought the theatre and razed it for
additional parking. At the time, it was the largest wide-screen movie house in
the world. I saw all of the Star Wars movies there, which was an incredible
experience. Valiant efforts were made to try to save this land-mark theatre as
it was the largest Cinerama theatre in existance at the time. But since the
hospital had already quietly secured ownership when nobody was looking, nothing
could be done to win their sympathies to save the theatre. Fortunately, the
hospital allowed all of the important equipment to be salvaged, including the
projectors, the sound system, and the semi-circular screen. The last I heard, a
preservation group is supposed to build a new Cinerama theatre/museum to house
this equipment somewhere in Tennesee I think. I realize that this is slightly
off topic, but for the sake of all you film buffs that are among us, you should
check out http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/2001/65/indian/indian_hills.htm

In short, we have the technology, we can remaster it!
Val