BURLINGTON BALLAST

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: BURLINGTON BALLAST
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:21:38 EST
Int the recent conversations re the above there was mention of an obscure RR
which served only to handle slag ballast...I mentioned one from memory from
Ed DeRouin's
TRACKSIDE AROUND CHICAGO.

Having my priorities correctly aligned I checked the book last evening and
here's the one I was thinking of...may or not be right, but here tis.

TAC Pg 90..3 photos of INDIAN HILL AND IRON RANGE. Heading at top of page

Owned by H. Barstow & Co. the approximately one mile long Indian Hill and
Iron Range Railway serves only one purpose...It receives loads of slag from
the EJ&E in northwest Hammond IN and shoves the loads to a waiting car
dumper. The slag is then trucked to a nearby facility where it is crushed
and used in highway construction.

This may or may not be helpful, but I'm sure it's worth what it cost to get
it.

Pete