Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Burlington ballast

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Burlington ballast
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:35:02 -0600
Charlie,

I have personally billed thousand of cars of blast furnace slag
used by the CB&Q as ballast and have never heard of such an
operation either in my time or prior to it. By my time there was
only one source in the Chicago area but in the 50's there were
two, neither of which fits that description. In the late 60's slag
was also obtained from Granite City Steel.

I can say that slag ballast was used on the line North of Savanna.
During and after the 1965 flood several solids trains were run
North out of Congress Park.

Russ