Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Crawford Tower

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Crawford Tower
From: Ted Schnepf <railsunl@f...>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:38:55 -0600
Hello everyone,

The CMSTP was the first Railroad to build through the Crawford Tower area in the 1860's, so when the CB&N built though many years later it was at the Milwaukee's bidding. When the Milw sold the line in the 1980's to the state of Wisconsin, the BN purchased the section from the east side of the diamond down to the Fertilizer plant, which was still shipping at that time. From the fertilizer plant about one mile to Prairie Sand & Gravel is owned by the state and controlled by the transit commission.

Later when the transit commission's operator (WICT) had to cross the BN mainline at Crawford it was at the bidding of the BN, and thus the split point derails.

I do have a historic photo of the tower in the 1920's.

Ted