Re: [BRHSlist] Savanna "Crossing Gates"

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Savanna "Crossing Gates"
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 05:09:44 -0800 (PST)
--- "herrick01 <bherrick@k...>" <bherrick@k...>
wrote:
> A piece of trivia I came across while looking at interlocking plant
> diagram sheets from the Milwaukee Road. According to a sheet dated
> 1917, the interlocking plant protecting the Milwaukee/Q crossing at
> Savanna utilized crossing gates--these appear to be short arms
> mounted on poles, one for each track, controlled by the tower, in
> addition to semaphores. Has anyone seen such an installation
> before? Would love to see a photo or drawing of these crossing
> gates. The source says the installation was owned by the Milwaukee,
> paid for equally by the two companies, with the Q paying 100% of the
> operating and maintenance costs. Just an FYI.
>
> Bob Herrick
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

There was a similiarly described installation on the southeast side of
Chicago but the location escapes me. Seems to me the Rock Island, Erie
Lackawanna, and others were some of the participants. Found out about this
place as it was on of the Chicago railfan locations in the book,
"Railfan's Guide to Chicago". I believe it is still in print, although i
might be mistaken. Never was actually there but remembered seeing the
photos with the "crossing gates" that were actual highway crossing
mechanisms with large arms that extended across the tracks. There was a
small building that housed the operator and controlled the interlocking,
which I believe was manual. The operator also raised and lowered the gates
and passed train ordeers as needed. Elmer>