RE: [BRHSlist] Re: Albia depot and the "Capital City Limited."

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Re: Albia depot and the "Capital City Limited."
From: "Stephen Craven" <scraven@a...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:21:59 -0600
I've been modeling this area and have number of maps and track charts, so
maybe I can help. Looking at an Appanoose County from 1919 the Wabash and
CB&Q lines both leave the North side of Albia closely following the present
day route of Hwy 5. I think the only "new" track that got built because of
Red Rock dam was between Knoxville and Des Moines.
For "the other track that runs off on the west side of town", there are a
couple of possibilities. Even in 1919 there was the south main that ran
through the south side of Albia in a deep cut. This ran from what was Ward
Tower, now Halpin, to Maxon. This track had a lower grade for eastbounds,
but as far as I know never had a depot. There was also spur that ran from
Ward Tower up through Hiteman and served a number of coal mines in that
area. That may be the "other" track.

Stephen