Re: Kato Business Car

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Kato Business Car
From: "Dale DeWitt" <dcdewi@a...>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:53:56 -0000
Marshall,

I would very much appreciate a e-mail copy of your "quickie" drawing
for converting the Kato model to a Roundup.

Thanks in advance.

Dale DeWitt
Des Peres, MO
""dcdewi@a...""

--- In BRHSlist@y..., "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...> wrote:
> Marshall,
>
> >> Don't call me mad, but would it make sense to try to turn the
car into "The Round Up" ? Or are overall length, roof profile or
other things way too different? <<

> With my vast array of obsessions, who am *I* to call anyone "mad"?
<grin> . . .

> There are minor differences in length - "Burlington" coupled, 85'-
0"; "The Round-Up", 81'-8 3/4" and Burl. truck spacing 59'-6" vs. TRU
at 57'-2" (but you'd have to change that anyway, just to swap in the
6-wheel Pullman trucks. Also, there is a difference between the
standard Budd roof cross-section and that of an air-ducted (full-
length in TRU's case) Pullman clerestory roof - but that's really
hard to see in a model.

> If I were to turn Kato's Burlington into The Round Up, here's what
I would do:

> 1. Moosh the underframe for 6-wheel trucks (at centers of 60'-6"
which maintains TRU's spacing-to-end-of-car, which is more noticeable
than truck centers.

> 2. Notch the skirts to match TRU (which also eliminates the truck
swivel problem on Burl.)

> 3. Revise the rear platform by cutting off the fluted "balcony"
and replacing it with built-up styrene sheet and square tubing; and
adding whatever fixed steps you would prefer (I have a bunch of
Athearn AT&SF caboose floors in the scrap box which I use as step
donors. For passenger use, I widen them by filing through the "end
sheets" and applying new ends of .010 styrene.)

> 4. Remove the lower side fluting from the left front corner of the
car - this was formerly a vestibule and, after remodeling, was access
to the car heating system.

> 5. Finally (and scariest when you've paid $50 for the 'surgery
patient'), redo *all* the windows and the interior!!!!!!

> If you (or any of the other BRHS-listers) would like, I can whip up
a quickie scale drawing of The Round Up (both sides, and adjusted to
fit the Kato model's actual length) and e-mail it as an attachment -
any takers?

> >> AND there is still the chance that "The Round Up" was converted
in 52 as well. <<

> No, there isn't - Former observation lounge "Mississippi" (nee SP&S
570) entered service as The Round-Up in Jan. '53 <sigh>.

> >> I know what you are about to say - model the 50s! <<
>

> No I wouldn't, Florian . . . I am too imbedded in 1944 myself to
ever suggest someone change their own selected date <smiles>

> Marshall (too stubborn to buy a "Burlington" - except maybe for the
display shelf . . . Hmmmmm) Thayer