Re: [BRHSlist] Kato Business Car

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Kato Business Car
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:30:31 -0700
Marshall,

>> Don't call me mad, but would it make sense to try to turn the car into "The
>> Round Up" ? Or are overall length, roof profile or other things way too
>> different? <<

With my vast array of obsessions, who am *I* to call anyone "mad"? <grin> . . .

There are minor differences in length - "Burlington" coupled, 85'-0"; "The
Round-Up", 81'-8 3/4" and Burl. truck spacing 59'-6" vs. TRU at 57'-2" (but
you'd have to change that anyway, just to swap in the 6-wheel Pullman trucks.
Also, there is a difference between the standard Budd roof cross-section and
that of an air-ducted (full-length in TRU's case) Pullman clerestory roof - but
that's really hard to see in a model.

If I were to turn Kato's Burlington into The Round Up, here's what I would do:

1. Moosh the underframe for 6-wheel trucks (at centers of 60'-6" which
maintains TRU's spacing-to-end-of-car, which is more noticeable than truck
centers.

2. Notch the skirts to match TRU (which also eliminates the truck swivel
problem on Burl.)

3. Revise the rear platform by cutting off the fluted "balcony" and replacing
it with built-up styrene sheet and square tubing; and adding whatever fixed
steps you would prefer (I have a bunch of Athearn AT&SF caboose floors in the
scrap box which I use as step donors. For passenger use, I widen them by filing
through the "end sheets" and applying new ends of .010 styrene.)

4. Remove the lower side fluting from the left front corner of the car - this
was formerly a vestibule and, after remodeling, was access to the car heating
system.

5. Finally (and scariest when you've paid $50 for the 'surgery patient'), redo
*all* the windows and the interior!!!!!!

If you (or any of the other BRHS-listers) would like, I can whip up a quickie
scale drawing of The Round Up (both sides, and adjusted to fit the Kato model's
actual length) and e-mail it as an attachment - any takers?

>> AND there is still the chance that "The Round Up" was converted in 52 as
>> well. <<

No, there isn't - Former observation lounge "Mississippi" (nee SP&S 570)
entered service as The Round-Up in Jan. '53 <sigh>.

>> I know what you are about to say - model the 50s! <<

No I wouldn't, Florian . . . I am too imbedded in 1944 myself to ever suggest
someone change their own selected date <smiles>

Marshall (too stubborn to buy a "Burlington" - except maybe for the display
shelf . . . Hmmmmm) Thayer