Re: [BRHSlist] E-5's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] E-5's
From: Randy Gordon-Gilmore <zephyrus@r...>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:43:02 -0700
At 01:43 PM 9/9/2002 -0500, Charlie wrote:

>I know Randy Gordon-Gilmore, having worked with him and Dick Billings in
>making the Pioneer Zephyr kit in N Scale happen.... he has many other
>projects ahead of the E5s and would be tickled to get a good set of
etchings
>by someone else in his hands....

I measured the E5 as well as I could in the carbarn with a pocket tape
measure when I was at IRM several years ago. (It was kind of an impromptu
side trip while visiting the PZ at Grainger's, so I wasn't as prepared as
I could have been...) I can't vouch for the accuracy of all the
measurements, but they should not be more than an inch or two off on the
ones I was "projecting" down from overhead (window positions etc.) And of
course there are the major published dimensions from the strip drawings
which you loaned me. I'll be happy to put my DXF file up for reference.
I've done the basic body in 3D, and tweaked it so it matches the
measurements and photos pretty well. I also have a rudimentary skin
flat-pattern layout. Roof details are the sticking point for me, since I
don't have any direct measurements. Even though I'd really like to do the
shells myself, I realize that I don't have nearly the time to devote to
them now (@!!@&% day job anyway) so I'd not mind someone doing the shells,
just to get them available.

Best regards,

Randy