Re: [BRHSlist] Proper sound for 4-6-4

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Proper sound for 4-6-4
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:25:12 EST
There isn't a "right" Soundtraxx decoder for a "Q" Hudson. If I were doing a
Q steamer like a S4 or O5 I'd use one of the Santa Fe 4-8-4 #3751 decoders.
Either the passenger or freight version if they offer them (the difference is
in the whistles; freight is lower than passenger and both are high pitched).
I have had only one chance to hear a Q whistle and they are very high pitched
... not a steamboad whistle at all. Frisco #1522 was apparently equipped
with a "Q" whistle on one of her trips to Galesburg. The thing sounded kind
of obnoxious to be honest - of course I'm very fond of the booming steamboat
whistles!

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL