Re: [BRHSlist] Scale

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Scale
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@h...>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:52:19 -0600
Charlie and group,

> Just wish I had some O1a, O2, O3, M1, M2, M3, M4, O4, S class and S4
> locos.... and Zephyr EAs. The Budd cars we just did turned out great; don't
> know if they will ever be done in HO because of the cost factor (a $100 set
> of 4 cars in N would cost $240 in HO, and the current HO market is more in
> the $25-$35 price range per car, not $60) we'll see how well the HO
> Burlington Business Car sells at $60-$70 each.

Don't sell yourself short on this subject. Look what Life-Like's
Heritage Steam Collection locomotives have done. I'll bet the
Walthers/Rivarossi 2-6-6-6 Allegheny will be a sell-out also- providing they
don't do the usual MO of late and produce a bazillion of them so every Tom,
Dick and Harry has them for sale at Train Shows and in their basement Hobby
Store operation! The Alleghenys are going to retail at $499.99 at
introduction and after Oct. 1- $585.00! With Brass passenger cars going at
$400 bucks a pop, a highly detailed quality plastic passenger car at under
$100 would sell very well in my opinion. They wouldn't be for everybody and
totally out reach for some- but those who can afford to buy the high quality
plastic locomotives and rolling stock certainly have been at the store. We
have had numerous discussions at the store about this and I honestly feel
that if Kato were to produce the N scale cars in HO, and produce them in a
quantity that is realistic- and would allow Kato to make a decent profit-
they would be a sell-out. I don't know what the production runs were like
for the Challenger and Shoreham Shops North Coast Limited and Empire Builder
brass passenger sets but I am guessing about 250 sets of each. At about
$5000 retail for the 13 car NCL and $7000 for the 18 car EB- they sold out!
A quality plastic car at under $100.00 would be a bargain in comparison. The
Walther's Budd cars are absolutely beautiful and retail at $31.95, but I
know Kato would out shine them if they did the N scale cars in HO, and did
them in the manner that Kato used to be at their best at- true 'Limited'
runs!!!!!!

John Olson-owner
Jim's Junction
Billings, Mt.
406-259-5354 Store, Answering machine & Fax machine
<trains28@h...>
<http://www.jimsjunction.com>
Selling quality HO/N Scale items for 15 years- Worldwide shipping available