RE: [BRHSlist] Re: SD-45 In Chinese Red? BN Green

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Re: SD-45 In Chinese Red? BN Green
From: "Dave_Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 21:26:58 -0500
Disposition-notification-to: "Dave_Lotz" <dave_lotz@e...>
Tom & lister's,

I'll dare! Here are my clarifications...corrections:

The green hockey stick scheme was the last locomotive paint scheme adopted
by the CB&Q, but was indeed an "experimental" scheme for the pending BN. I
can safely say that there were never any CB&Q SD45's that exited La Grange
in Chinese Red. For the Q, who liked to keep their locomotives clean, the
large white stripe became filthy, and the scheme was adopted by the BN only
for the passenger units.

The U-Boats that were painted in the hockey stripe scheme were CB&Q U23C's
460-468 that were delivered in April of 1969...the Q did not own any U30's.
They did have on order four U33C's that were to be numbered 578-581, but
were delivered in February of 1971 to the BN in the standard BN scheme. In
fact, the BN 5206 (Q 466) was the last hockey stick freight unit to be
repainted into the standard BN livery on August 27, 1976.

For photographic proof that the 629 was indeed painted in the hockey stick
scheme, see the bottom of page 93 in Burlington Bulletin # 26. There I used
two photos of the 629 taken in August of 1968, one from Hol Wagner and the
other from Bat Masterson. I'm sure there are other printed photos of that
locomotive in the hockey stick scheme.

Dave Lotz