Re: [BRHSlist] Re: SD-45 In Chinese Red? BN Green

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: SD-45 In Chinese Red? BN Green
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:24:21 -0700 (PDT)
--- jworones@y... wrote:
> Great myth! Hope it is true!
> In Patrick Dorin's "Everywhere West" there is a photo of most (if not
> all) of the Q's SD45's at LaGrange, all in green/white. If one was
> painted red/gray, it probably wasn't out of the paint shop very long
> before going back in.
>
> Now in Jeff's world...because the BN merger didn't happen and the
> second batch of SD45's were delivered in red/gray, I have SD45 532 in
> the red/gray.
>
> The GP40 in green/white was the 629. I believe it was painted in mid
> 1968. Had the BN logo on the cab side also.
>
> Jeff Worones
> Las Vegas, NV
>
> --- In BRHSlist@y..., mack@c... wrote:
> > The "Hockey Stick" scheme appeared on the SD45's and GE U23C's when
> > delivered. One GP40 got the scheme as well. Q also had U33C's on
> > order at the time of the merger, but they came in the true BN
> scheme.
> >
> > Here is one for everyone, though. Many years ago I heard a rumor
> that
> > one SD45 was indeed painted in Chinese Red at EMD La Grange, but
> was
> > repainted into the green before it left the premises. Anyone else
> > ever hear this rumor and know the "truth"? I, for one, kind of like
> > the story, even if it is just another Q urban myth.
> >
> > Tom Mack
> In defense of Jeff, if you look in Pat's book, "Everywhere West", on
page 13, the scheme in question must of been a "experimental" scheme
rather than a BN as if you look closely at the photo of the units outside
the erection shop, true they are in the "BN" hockey stick scheme, which
really only got painted on BN passenger equipment and E8/9 locomotives. I
base this as, the BN freight scheme was black roof, cascade green sides,
black underframe, black pilots and trucks, with no hockey stick in white
on the sides. Also the word BURLINGTON in white under the cab windows on
each side. Also the nose stripes of the experimental scheme were not as
bold as what was later adopted.
Pat even statd in the caption that he thought this might of been a
test scheme as the last CB&Q paint scheme reflecting the pending BN merger
that came about two years later. Louis Menk might of thought of adopting
the "experimental scheme", up until the merger would of allowed units to
getting repainted in the new image alot faster if they were painted this
way. It would of cost less money to paint out the white "Burlington", and
paint wider stripes. He did also state that the SD45's were painted this
way before delivery but the scheme was never adopted. So maybe they did
get painted Chinese Red and Gray for delivery prior to the final mertger
decision. Anyone dare to clarify?!
Pat's book also shows U-Boats (U23's?) painted chinese red but did
state that the U30's were ordered prior to merger but painted BN green and
black upon delivery.
I must correct his statement of a GP40 being painted in the
experimental scheme in 1968. All information I have uncovered shows the
experimental scheme was done in January of 1969, so unless he can prove
that the GP40 was done in 1968, by a slide or print, or even a official
roster, we must assume that was rumor also.
All locomotives delivered before 1969 were delivered in Chinese Red
and Gray. except for the hood units in the late 50's in the black and
gray. Now that I have stirred everyone up lets see how this turns out!

Tom Kaufman