Re: [CBQ] Rerailing

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rerailing
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:13:47 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1245158143; bh=9YmPF6svC/H4naoGlyxrK8SoQ+1KxOiC8XxRPzi7ijU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=tBQacfTDbkYZmWGU5VnDyblKoGqFgyMsYdJn4Q/b0qUSbzFufOd2DhTVzrbT/ugc7T1RQ6z2+eu5Yufgsc2UcQ5lRsh4gd5E1CXW52i74exw69B97ebdl3Dy7IwolMvV
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I think that Leo established the "paramaters" for this little exercise...It's
basically a "cover up" which would eliminate the calling out of the mechanical
department and other "by the book" techniques.

Properly arranged tie plates was the usual remedy along with some Oak or better
wood chunks...anything of soft wood jus wouldn't do the job...If there were a
couple of angle bars laying around they would be helpful also in building a
proper ramp.?? You might also need a chain (available in most waycars in the
1950's era) to either keep the truck from "slewing" or straighten it out after
it had slewed.? Track spikes were also handy and there were usally some lying
around on the ground and most waycars of the day were properly equipped for all
kinds of "unforseen contingencies".

I must confess that my own efforts at rerailing always came to a hopeless dead
end...I never mastered the art of properly placing a few tie plates and chunks
of wood....We had an asst Supt at Blue Island who was from Arkansas and was
what I would term a "master rerailer"...Frank would saunter out the
scene..keeping his hands in his pockets...kick a few tie plates into a
strategic position...give a go ahead or backup sign...The pull or shove...It
was always better to "backtrack" in rerailing was usually successful and he
would wander back to his office.

As far as mechanical inspection...remember it's the 50's and few if any roller
bearing cars were around...All you needed to do after the rerailing was
complete is pull open the journal box lid and be sure that the wedge and brass
were in place...? If not you got the "journal jack" out of the waycar and
jacked up the car and reset the brass.With roller bearings...if I recall
correctly...the car always had to go over the rip track.

If a switch had been run through you got a bar..again available in the waycar
and straightened the bridal and or connecting rod and "voila" the deed was done
and, in most cases, "no one was the wiser.? If the crew was on good terms with
the section boss you could get him to do whatever was necessary to repair the
switch with no report being made.....Today I understand that a run through
switch results in a mandatory "out of service and drug test"....? I once
covered up a run through main line switch for a "par excellence" engineer adn
sweated it out for days that the Supt would find out about it...Fortunately the
"cover up" was successfulOh"" for the simpler days.

Pete