Re: [CBQ] Photo caption help request: FW&D E-5 set

To: "cbq@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Photo caption help request: FW&D E-5 set
From: "Skip Waters" <wgcrush@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:56:35 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
When the Texas Legislature passed the Law to Regulate Railroads in 1853, it required that the railroads operating in the state be headquartered in Texas. This requirement was later included as part of Article X of the Constitution of 1876. As a result the various railroad systems operating in Texas did so through subsidiary companies. Some, such as the Southern Pacific, Missouri Pacific, and the Santa Fe, retained the corporate names of Texas railroads they had acquired. Others, such as the Missouri, Kansas and Texas, chartered separate subsidiaries to operate in Texas. However, the Transportation Act of 1920 gave additional regulatory powers to the Interstate Commerce Commission. In 1934 the Kansas City Southern Railway Company sought to lease the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway Company lines in Texas. Although the Interstate Commerce Commission gave approval to this lease, the state of Texas fought the case to the Supreme Court of the United States, which upheld the federal agency. The Missouri Pacific and its subsidiaries came out of receivership in 1954, at which time all of the companies in Texas operating as part of the Missouri Pacific Lines were merged into the parent company. The Katy merged its Texas subsidiary in 1960, while the Southern Pacific merged the Texas and New Orleans in 1961. The Santa Fe followed suit in 1965. The last of the separate Texas railroads was the Fort Worth and Denver, which merged into the Burlington Northern Railroad Company in 1982.