Re: [CBQ] Photo caption help request: FW&D E-5 set

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Photo caption help request: FW&D E-5 set
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 11:59:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Dave,

I thought about the units possibly being brand new and fresh from the EMC/EMD
plant at McCook, IL. However, before 1970 and the adoption of the new Illinois
constitution, the previous constitution included a capital equipment tax. In my
EMD experience in the late 1960s, no railroad took delivery of new equipment in
Illinois if they could possibly avoid it. Q aways took delivery of new
locomotives in Lincoln, NE. Since the old Illinois constitution dated back to
1870, I suspect that the capital equipment tax was in effect in 1940/1941. To
avoid the tax, I would have thought that the new E5s would have been shipped
dead to a point west of Illinois for delivery. That said, they could have
easily been run eastbound to Chicago to make their first trip to Denver as seen
in the photo.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO