[CBQ] Question regarding oil tanks at the old Downers Grove commuter yar

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Question regarding oil tanks at the old Downers Grove commuter yard.
From: "Doug Ramsay" <drramsay@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 12:01:31 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I am sure one of you, if not a number of you can answer a question that I have regarding the old commuter yard area in Downers Grove.

I have seen in photos of the yard area on the BRHS Flickr section, somewhat large fuel tanks peeking out from behind locomotives on the northside of the yards. I can also see them close to the track area in a 1970 satellite photo.

My question is, were these tanks railroad owned, and if so, what use were they for after the rail yard had been discontinued. I am interested in the period of the 1960's.
Or could these tanks be from an oil distribution company located alongside the railroad. If so, what company was it. I recently spent a day back in Downers Grove at the historical museum, going through some of their collection of files searching out numerous questions I have, but was unable to come up with the answer in regard to an oil distributor located in that area. Therefore, I am wondering if they were CB&Q use tanks.

I kind of remember them from my youth living in Downers Grove in the 1960's, but then that was a long time ago.

I appreciate any help possible,

Thank You
Doug Ramsay
Snohomish WA.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64486) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_