Re: [CBQ] Imagine What Travel Was Like in the Classic Era 💭

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Imagine What Travel Was Like in the Classic Era 💭
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:28:58 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I had the good fortune to ride several pre-Amtrak name trains.  In eighth grade, our class trip was from Chicago to Washington, DC on the B&O Capitol Limited.  I rode the Lac du Flambeau 400 from the north woods to Evanston, Ill. in high school.  I rode the Hiawatha's a lot and the Pioneer Limited several times after I started working at The Dells, and the Electroliners on the North Shore.  One weekend in 1963, I rode the 'Big Four' train down to Kankakee on Friday evening, and the City of New Orleans back on Sunday evening.  In the '60's I'd ride the Denver Zephyr, and the three winters I lived in Denver, the Yampa Valley Mail and a couple trips to Colorado Springs on the C&S and Santa Fe trains.  After Amtrak, the only two non-Amtrak trains I rode were the Southern Crescent from Birmingham (I was down visiting the Steam Shop) to Washington, DC, and the Rio Grande Zephyr to Glenwood Springs on our honeymoon.  The only states I haven't visited on a train are New Hampshire, Maine, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida.  Admittedly, South Dakota was only on coal motors not a passenger train, though we did ride a State Centennial special on the C&N-W from Fairburn to Rapid City in 1989 :>)
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63776) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_