Re: [CBQ] Run through motive power

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Run through motive power
From: "killercarp via groups.io" <killercarp=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 08:15:53 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

I model the river line to St. Paul so my research is primarily in that area.  I can offer the following:

Early 60s, GN F-units to Cicero. Photos and video show groups of usually 5 F-units.  Power often returned west on train 97.  Practice appears to have terminated in the early 60s.

~1967-3/69, NYC and subsequently PC run through from Boston to St.Paul normally routed on the Canada route on the NYC.  Westbound power was usually on train 97.  Rumor is that agreement was terminated due to PC misuse of CB&Q power.  Back then pools were strict agreements.  Today’s use of horsepower hours as the unit of exchange was still about 20 years in the future.

3/69 to approximately 1973, Erie Lackawanna run through from Coxton, NJ to St. Paul.  Sometimes CB&Q and later BN power got turned back at Marion, OH but also often ran all the way to NJ.  On CB&Q, EL power usually went west on train 97.

In the late 1960s, CB&Q had some NP F3s on lease that were frequently seen on the river line.

New GN and NP locomotives from EMD and GE headed west for delivery via CB&Q.

There is some indication that GN power was borrowed on a per-trip basis when power was needed.  Photos exist of GE U28B and U25Bs as well as GP30s, GP35s, SD45s and F45s in the Chicago area dated before the merger in the late 1960s.

Hope this helps,
Tim VanMersbergen

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63738) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_