[CBQ] "Must Have" Covered Hopper for Anyone Modeling Chic-Mpls/StP 1965

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] "Must Have" Covered Hopper for Anyone Modeling Chic-Mpls/StP 1965 and Beyond
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 08:38:47 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
High capacity covered hoppers were just coming into vogue in the late 1960's so I am always looking for any that I can run on my CB&Q trains in my era 1965-merger and modeled line from Chicago to Mpls/StP. One car i came across in wheel reports was the TLDX 4427 cu ft covered hoppers painted in the awesome blue and white Carborundum scheme. Exactrail released a highly detailed model of the PS-2CD 4427 prototype years ago, just not in the Carborundum scheme. I suggested this scheme to them years ago for s future run of these cars and they must have listened, because we just got cars in both Carborundum schemes and number series!

Go to https://exactrail.com/collections/ho-ps-2cd-4427-covered-hopper and scroll down to the bottom to see both cars.

Now for some background:

TLDX 3801-3815 were built in December 1964 under PS Lot 8970 and leased to Carborundum to carry Carbide from the Carborandum facility in Vancouver, WA. The product was shipped to the Carborundum plant in Niagara Falls, NY via both the GN and NP to Mpls/StP then Q to Chicago then via NYC or PC to Niagara Falls. These cars may have gone to other plants as well but were stencilled "When Empty Return Car to the Carborundum Company At Vancouver, Washington". So the empty cars no doubt went via the Q back to the NP or GN as well. Photo can be found in the XCar Color Guide Vol. 5 on page 16.

TLDX 5205-5214 were built in 1965 under PS Lot 8954 for Bartlett & Company. Apparently the cars were refused so they ended up also going to Carborundum in April 1965 to join the earlier 3800 series cars to carry Carbide from the Carborandum facility in Vancouver, WA. These cars also shipped to the Carborundum plant in Niagara Falls, NY via both the GN and NP to Mpls/StP then Q to Chicago then via NYC or PC to Niagara Falls. These cars may have gone to other plants as well and were also stencilled "When Empty Return Car to the Carborundum Company At Vancouver, Washington". So the empty cars no doubt went via the Q back to the NP or GN as well.  Photo can be found in the Pullman-Standard Color Guide on page 25. (BTW, although Exactrail says the color scheme for TLDX 5205-5214 is a "1968 Repaint" the photo in the PS Color Guide shows the cars repainted in April 1965 into this scheme. So it appears to me to be accurate for the life of the cars.)

Wheel report info is as follows:

TLDX 3810 Loaded 99 Tons CARBID eastbound on NP train E614-1-20 10-21-1969 interchange at station 51210CB

TLDX 5207 Loaded 99 Tons CARBID eastbound on GN train 88 7-25-1968 interchange at junction QPN destination NIAFALLS, NY consignee CARBON

(In regard to the 1968 QPN interchange in Chicago, I assume this to be Q-PC/ex-NYC as all the other GN interchanges in my wheel reports for cars going to Niagara Falls show the interchange as either QCHICPC or QNYC.)

To have two of these cars in the few wheel reports I have compiled indicates a very high probability that over the years that these 25 cars were in service, from assignment to Carborundum in December 1964 and April 1965 to the BN merger and beyond, probably all of them showed up on the Q. We know 5207 did per the GN wheel report (and that is a road number that Exactrail offers) as did 3810 (that specific number not offered by Exactrail, but others of this series are), but I'd say any of the numbers that Exactrail has produced would work if you model the Q from 1965 to merger from Chicago to the Twin Cities. I highly recommend you get one or more of these cars!

(Disclaimer: I am not associated with Exactrail but very very happy to have two of these cars for my layout!)

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63739) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_