Re: [CBQ] Allied trucks in freight service

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Allied trucks in freight service
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:32:21 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

All-

The question of interest that started all this has not, I believe, been answered.

At some point in time the Allied Full Cushion trucks were removed from boxcars and Jeeps alike….the question is When?

I imagine a perusal of the equipment diagram books would provide as definitive answer short of detailed shop or accounting records.  The change in trucks would certainly eventually be recorded there.

I don’t recall seeing an Allied Full Cushion truck in service but 1955 is a little early for ten year old me to have known enough to recognize one if I saw it.  By the late 1950s I think I would have noticed something other than a freight car truck under a box car or ex-troop kitchen car.

Without starting a deep research project I have seen a couple of Model Railroad and railroad history sites stating that the Allied Full Cushions were banned in 1955 or 1959,1960.  None of them has proof and it would be nice to be able to see the source document that supports that they were banned for interchange.   It sounds like the PRR was satisfied that if the truck was upgraded it made them suitable for use even in passenger trains.  The CB&Q did eventually retrofit all their interchange equipment but, being cheap, tried reuse of them on waycars but gave up probably because they rode worse than the No.7 woodbeam trucks and ride control (??) trucks on the cars in the trial.

Charlie Vlk