Re: [CBQ] Twin City Zephyr speed limits and LaCrosse street running

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Twin City Zephyr speed limits and LaCrosse street running
From: "Dennis Popish via groups.io" <qchooch=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 11:21:36 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Leo:

One of my Dad’s duties as an electrician down at the Zephyr Pit in Chicago from 1947 to 1977 was to change out the recording paper roll on the speed recording machine in each locomotive.The recorder resembled a seismograph recorder with a stylus indicating the locomotive speed on the continuous paper roll. He would often tell me he could tell when the engineer was behind schedule. They knew the more wide open and safe spots that they could make up time through.So much for the speed limit, especially on the Twin Cities route along the river!

Supposedly the E-5’s were built prior to the speed recorders being required and were not retrofitted with them so the E-5’s were reportedly the engineers favorites when they needed to “make up time”.

Dennis Popish