Re: [CBQ] "CB&Q 35" Questions

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] "CB&Q 35" Questions
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:57:20 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Here's just a little "side note" out of my  "way back" mind.  "See that   "bonnet" device fastened to the stack to imitate a "balloon" stack.  Just a few years ago I was perusing the photos of the 440 sitting at Rock Port shortly before her "murder" by the scrapers in 1953 and I noticed that you could still see the "scar" on the conventional smokestack indicating where the bottom of the "fake" balloon device was fastened...

And as I mentioned we "rescued" the bell    actually I think that we forgot to make prior arrangements with the scrapper that we wanted to keep the bell and he (the scrapper) took advantage of my dad and I think he ended up paying the guy $100 or so for the bell....But it is, indeed a treasured keepsake and memory enhancer as it sits in my daughter's family room and hopefully it will always remain in our family.

Pete