Re: [CBQ] Survivor Pensions

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Survivor Pensions
From: "Dennis Popish via groups.io" <qchooch=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 10:01:19 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Peter:

This discussion group is informal for those with an interest in the CB&Q Railroad with no official railroad affiliation.

The Railroad Retirement Act establishing pensions for railroad workers was not enacted until 1935 around the same time that the Social Security system was being enacted. Railroad employee survivor and spouse pension benefits were not provided for until enacted in 1946 and 1951.
So in 1888 it would have been highly unlikely that any survivor’s pensions were available nor provided by any railroad. You might reference the web site for the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board for specific historical information on that retirement system.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you.

Dennis Popish