Re: [CBQ] "CB&Q 35" Questions

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] "CB&Q 35" Questions
From: "james miller" <jimbro67@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 12:00:55 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
That's not the pioneer

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021, 11:08 AM Louis Zadnichek via groups.io <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
April 19, 2021

Bob - I've attached an image from the BRHS Flickr Collection that shows No. 35 under steam at the Western Avenue Yard in Chicago during May 1935. It was a publicity shot with the Pioneer Zephyr and other foreign road mainline passenger power of that era.

You can clearly see smoke coming from its diamond stack, as well as steam shooting from the fireman's side cylinder cock while hot water dribbles out of the engineer's side cylinder cock.  This was probably the last time No. 35 was fired-up as later views are all static.

I agree with Bob that when not on display No. 35 and its mail car were stored under cover in the Aurora Shop complex. No. 35 and its mail car were moved in low speed locals when in route to be displayed.  Its rods and pilot were removed during those moves.

The pilot and most often the rods were put back on for display, but there are images of it on display with its rods removed.  No. 35 and its mail car never saw the Patee House Museum in St. Joseph, MO, until they were donated there for permanent display - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL