Re: [CBQ] Industry and Warehouse Questions

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Industry and Warehouse Questions
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 07:24:49 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Scott and Nancy,

1)My first bit of advise is to get a copy the Chicago Switching district industries book by the district bureau. Reproduction copies can be found. It’s a spiral bound book which lists names, serving carriers(often multiple carriers),and by address. If you know much about Chicago street names and neighborhoods you then can figure out where they were.

I just thought of a great trade for the wonderful favor you just did for me. Watch your mailbox around mid April and you will receive a Q marked up/highlighted copy of the Chicago Switching District Industries. I’d send it sooner but let’s just say it’s not where I am for a while.

2)you may be taking a bit more operators license than you realize. The jobs you describe were based at Western Ave.

3) there was a whole lot more than warehouses. Chicago was the mfg. of the nation for many decades.

4) You could have a couple jobs go off layout to the lumber district, again they were based out of Western Ave. Then there were the jobs that switched Q Frt. Houses 1,2,5,6,7,10,11.(house 8,9 were switched by Cicero jobs). All this will be covered in a Bulletin that’s under construction and much more.

5) don’t forget all those team tracks I mentioned in our recent visit.

6) the scrap operation adjacent to EMD was Pielet Brothers. There were a few different Pielet Bros locations( south side of Chicago, Aurora,National Stock yard near East Louis) but they were different related branches of the family.

Leo