Re: [CBQ] CB&Q STOCK YARDS

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q STOCK YARDS
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 17:18:50 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Tom-

Yes, the Chicago Union Stock Yards was also a sales and holding point for further transit but it was not by any means the primary function….being surrounded by slaughter and processing plants.

Since my great grandfather was a worker in the stock yards, I will offer up a related tidbit that most may not be aware of….the African American derogatory term for whites “Honky”, although Wikipedia says the origin is unknown, is a derivative of “Bohunk” (Bohemian) as that ethnic group had worked up to supervisory positions in the stock yards when African Americans started to fill their former jobs in the stock yards.

Charlie Vlk